« Home | Another way to handle it... » | Too late » | Dating Me » | Let me introduce you to awkward » | I call him Scout » | Managing Myself » | Creep » | The pace of things. » | My family and I are running errands. We stop at t... » | Minnesota » 

21 March 2007 

It's that day

I decided that taking today off from work was the best choice for me. It was two years ago when friends, students, and I were in the thick of harm and violence. I noticed yesterday that I started to become extremely short and easily frustrated by my students. Let me tell you, it takes an incredible amount of inactivity to make me tense. That's right. I do my best when trying to reign things in and keeping a good flow going, but when there's nothing happening - well - that's when I get frustrated. Yesterday was normal. Totally normal, so I knew it didn't make sense that I was reacting to my students with such hostile tones and looks. They were confused, and so was I.

It comes down to that it's hard to be far away from anyone who understands anything about not only March 21st or the year that followed.

I'm warmed to read others' blogs about how they are working towards better things with the students I miss so terribly much. And I know that this place is better for me, and I can feel a totally different me since I can be an effective educator despite the fact that I'm teaching in a much larger school, with larger stereotypical problems of an urban school. This year has been a year of shedding triggers and pain. I'm finding there's been some callousing, but that's okay with me.

An incredible thing happened today. NPR ran a story on one of my students. They showcased him in a true light. They captured him spot on. It's so funny that on this day two years ago, a media nightmare was born. Ironic how today I'm involved in a story that breeds opportunity for my gem kiddo as opposed to more emotional pain from lies, morbid images, chaos, and money-making schemes and stories.

I've decided that I'm going to make a concerted effort to grow into myself. I've left something I know, something sour, something I loved, and I'm fine. Fine is boring. Let's try something rejuvenating out. How about another date, guitar lessons, Scout's puppy kindergarten classes, or the Bahamas for the hell of it.

Done.

I just found the article on Devon, Amy. Pretty cool!!

I'm happy things are going well for you. Your puppy is adorable, and...are you going to the Bahamas?!

I think Adam and I are buying a house in Bemidji. So...if Red Lake will have us, we're there for at least a few more years!

Take care. :)

I awoke to the NPR story this morning, so I thought I'd check here to see if you posted about it. Little did I realize that I would also find such a powerful reflection on the events and people, both joyous and painful, that make us who we are. I hope you continue to not be OK with fine...

Thanks for the link to the story. What happened to Emily Ensign? (is that what it was?) We miss you. Can we watch your puppy when you go to the Bahamas?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ms. E
My profile
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates