« Home | You know you've arrived when you start to recogniz... » | Hop Scotch is a silly game; it is calculated to we... » | New House » | What makes a weekend... » | Catharsis » | The city doesn't hide it... » | Baltimore teacher learning the art in Philadelphia » | Anew » | B'more » | I begin again » 

13 August 2006 

Preparing for a new school

Many Baltimore schools have a bad rep, mine isn't any different. After speaking with a reputable teacher from my future school, it sounds like a lot has improved. Apparently it was one of the most violent schools in the city.

The community, in all senses, totally abandoned it.

Now the violence component is gone, but the majority of classrooms are not managed.

The community is coming back, slowly, painfully slowly, but it's progress.

Academics are still beyond dismal. Only 20% of our students passed their English graduation test.

Yet the program I'm entering is one of prestige and triumph. It's a sanctuary of intellectual expansion for my future students, who fight to learn in their other classes.

What excites me most about working at this school isn't merely the challenges and input I'll eventually have (after I sit back and see how the school works = year 2), but the students I work with care about their school, community, future. I get to work with the people who are going to directly impact change. They know what they deserve, and we can make sure it's voiced.

To tie it all together for you, teaching journalism inherently implies an interest in your community. If my students don't right now, I can guarantee that'll change. There's a fit for everyone.

Soon. I can't wait to be teaching. I miss buzzing hallways.

About me

  • I'm Ms. E
My profile
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates