« Home | Relief » | Thoughts on Randomness & Predictability » | Raising Hell » | The throw down » | Mi Yeewnii » | Prep » | Endings » | Mixed Bag » | » | We won... » 

29 May 2006 

Events

Monday I told my students I wasn't coming back next year. They were proud of me. A few boys were mad. I told students Monday to give them two weeks to digest the inevitable and allow time for questions to be answered. I sound really full of myself, and maybe I have made a big deal out of it for myself more than them, but when you endure extreme amounts of tragedy, pain, joy, and exhaustion a bond is cemented. Out of respect for what was built, they deserved time to ask questions.

On Tuesday, those same boys came around with their grief and questions and understanding natures. It hurts walking away from them. It pains to not get to see them flourish their senior year. That loss of investment creates a knot in my stomach and sleeplessness.

On Wednesday the last edition of the newspaper came out. Fabulous. It's our best so far. I'm entering the newspaper into a bunch of contests. We have nothing to lose.

The advisor position for the newspaper has been secured with a teacher I respect, tremendously. The newspaper staff was concerned about the continuation of our paper. As the advisor is new, I'm sending his staff members to as many workshops as possible this summer so they feel like experts.

I also found out I received the job I wanted in Baltimore. I have huge shoes to fill, but I'm starting to see how my personality is unknowingly paving a path into journalism education. It's time to knowingly harness that drive.

Then I celebrated hardcore that night with friends I'm not ready to leave. I'm dealing with the loss of my students and coworkers, but I'm not doing so well with the loss of my friends from work and college.

On Friday I rallied for free yearbooks and won. I also was invited to my principal's house for dinner to meet his family, because he thinks I'm cool. It's a mutual feeling. The day ended at school with me anxiously awaiting the yearbook shipment.

Despite a few errors, the book looks great. I can't wait for dispersement on Wednesday.

I camped all weekend with friends. We took a small hiatus to run up to the school for graduation. In the end, it was a lot harder to see them leave high school than I thought - reason #1 parenting seems way too scary. I can't stress enough how much we all felt like family. Some are going to college some are going nowhere, and that mixture is bittersweet.

The valedictorian gave props to me and my friends/cool coworkers in his speech. While teaching isn't about affirmation from students, it sure doesn't hurt the motivation of a teacher.

Camping continued along with jovial actions.

This week is going to be a blur, much like the rest of my summer. I haven't even really processed everything. I can only recount events; I don't quite know what they mean yet.

Call me when you feel like it :)
(785)765-3529

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ms. E
My profile
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates