« Home | Mixed Bag » | » | We won... » | Body World » | "She cares because it's her first year." » | Brandi Carlile » | Freedom » | Who am I to judge? » | Leave » | Years » 

13 May 2006 

Endings

The softball season came to an official close on Thursday. It ended bittersweet, as we didn't have enough players show up. The other team ended up giving us three of theirs. But really, let me play up my ego here, my players showed up. The varsity players didn't, therefore, I lost my girls. In any other game I wouldn't complain (be selfish), but this was our last game and we had all worked hard as a unit to achieve. We didn't work hard to compensate for the other team's lack of drive. One day when I'm a varsity coach, I'll understand. He asked for my best player, and I fought him on it. I told him he couldn't take her, she's our anchor in every way (attitude, technical skills, communication, etc.). In my extreme disappointment that varsity was acting like a bunch of nincompoops, I had to be reminded that varsity takes precedence. It does. I get that.

But I think one day when I'm a varsity coach, I'll cancel the season if we don't have commitment from the ladies. Letting them play without accountability in practice or warmups only enables them to live life in half-ass style. I'm really not a jock chick, but I can think of a million lessons and metaphors that playing sports teaches about living life well.

Of course the entire situation on Thursday is a lot more complicated than what a blog can dictate, but the season ended with a fizzle.

That's okay. I watched my JV players grow into decent athletes. Oh, and they laughed - all the time - while trying hard.

About me

  • I'm Ms. E
My profile
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates