« Home | Preparing for Distance » | The Rock Star Complex » | A true test » 

17 April 2006 

My Other Home

I'm back to my other home, where I live alone, work all the time, see friends on the weekends, never have a chance to call them back (yet somehow blog?). I have to say, the three day weekend was relaxing and totally unproductive.

Not to mention it all started out with my team winning on Thursday night 18-6. The best part, my little thugger players (really, they're mostly gang members) wernt 0-6 in the first inning. Offense: One player swung the bat, missed by like six inches. The rest of them, in the first inning, just stood at the plate horrified. Defense: After letting in six runs, they ran into the dugout looking at me with the, "Please let us load the bus. This sucks. We're going to get killed again."

Master manipulator, me, pulled the oldest girl aside and told her to get real corny and start talking to the ladies when they bat. Before I knew it, they were all squirming and shouting and excited. We went straight through the batting order. Here's my favorite part about coaching Thursday, they're actually embarrassed to lead off the base. What!?? I've never encountered that in my years of coaching. They thought they looked silly. By the end of the game, I had almost all but one of them broken of that habit if you consider taking three steps leading off. I just kept telling them, there's nothing silly or embarrassing about scoring or being safe. Why doesn't logic work with hormonal teenage girls?

Now on to the joys of lesson planning. I think I'm going to walk my seniors through several poetry analyses in class as a discussion, since what I did last semester was crap and their analytical papers proved that.

These are the poets I might expose: Adrienne Rich, Dylan Thomas, Dorothy Parker, Sylvia Plath, Wilfred Owen, Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes, Anne Sexton, E.E. Cummings, etc.

Horray! Amy is blogging again. Thanks for adding me, can I add your link to my blog?

Love you and miss you lots. I think about you almost everyday and how its going to suck when you are gone and then that I NEED to call you, but then I don't and that sucks. When can we get together?! I'm good next week.

Al Franken is coming to Bemidji on Saturday night! If you call my dad 751-0197 you can get dinner and tickets for $25!

Oh, I'm having a graduation party after graduation at my parent's - you should come and bring who ever you want. It should be fantastic!

Sorry for the rather hyper message. See you soon!

Julie - go ahead and add a link! I miss you too! How is it possible that we are so busy? Next week would be good for me too. Let's do dinner or coffee or jogging or walking or anything, let's just actually get together. I'll think about Franken. That would be pretty cool. Hyper messages rock.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ms. E
My profile
eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates